Monday, October 7, 2013

Assignment #4












Observing And Interviewing Immigrants

I greatly enjoyed my interview with two Mexican immigrants on September 25th. I first observed them while I was walking in a shopping center in Tokama  Park, Md; a city known for a wide range of immigrants. So, I walked and noticed these two men, who laughed up a storm, but spoke in Spanish, so I had no idea what was being said. I continued to noticed them from a far, and I saw one of the men with a very large hat. Man, it was big with all kinds of colors. I then saw one of the men dancing, and I wondered if that was a Mexican dance. Both men looked like they were on their lunch break, just having a good time. I then approached these men, and asked if I could have a quick word with them. As I spoke, they looked as if they had no idea what I was saying. Luckily, there was a friend of these men close by who knew both Spanish and English.

So, in Spanish they explained to me that they were Mexican immigrants, looking for jobs in American to provide for their families. One man told me that they had left the city of Iztapalapa to find a good opportunity for him and his family, who he cares deeply about. The second man told me he and his family was from a city name Leon. They both explained tough times in their cities and chose America. Both men were Christians and believed their God was blessing them. I asked them about their big hats, which are called  sombreros. Both men told me that these hats are usually warn in rural areas in Mexico. This was a 85 degrees day, so I understood why. Lastly, I asked them about the dances they were doing. They told me of the kind of Mexican dance they were doing, which is called "Ace". They told me its history and from what culture it is derived from, which is Latin. Most their dances are used in events such as weddings, celebrations, birthdays and  holidays. I had a wonderful time with these men, and recieved some benefical cultual knowlege. Great experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment