Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Assignment #5












Service Day: Interacting With Other Cultures

On 10/2/13, I went out to the community to service. Every single semester here at Washington Adventist University, students embark on many service acts around the Maryland and Washington Dc. On that very day I was close school, passing out Bibles, health magazines and small devotional books. These were not your standard english Bibles and books, but most in spanish. I passed out books in a area filled with those of spanish descent. How did it go? Wonderful! I will quickly share a few of my experiences. The first person I offered to was a spanish woman, who spoke little english, and thought I was selling these books. Along with her two children, she first rejected, then stared at what I offered and began to pull out her money. I told her it was free, and then she smiled with a smile of surprise. I gave her a spanish Bible and a small devotional book, she was grateful.

What else happened? Well, I also came in contact with two spanish gentlemen coming out of a liquor store, looking very down. I offered the books I had, and at first they didn't want anything. As I stood waiting to see more people, the same two guys came back to me a got the books. They both smiled at me, seeing that everything was in spanish. I was truly happy they came back. Lastly, a spanish young man came to me, and asked for books, and wanted to know my faith. He was very eager to learn about Jesus, which warmed my heart. I learned on that day that people from everywhere are hungry for the Word of God, and it is my job to witness continually. I had a great service day!

No comments:

Post a Comment